Customer with extremely poor service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cal.gilbert
Sophomore

Customer with extremely poor service

Although I'm not a new customer (been with Hughesnet for about 10 years), I too have seen unacceptable latency issues and poor network performance in the evenings. 

I too am using the Gen5 Modem on Echostar-19-NAD Gateway 14  Beam 68 Outroute ID 3.  Have an open case with HN and they are supposed to be sending a tech out for a dish repoint (hopefully to a less buggy beam).

Ping loops to Google were showing about a 10-30% packet loss and averaging 1918ms latency.  This was on Thursday, Aug 10 about 930PM EST.  Understandibly, during peak times (5-11PM) performance will slow somewhat, but getting  these speeds awful.  Posted from HN Speed test history.  Times posted are Western Time Zone.  There was an outlyer result 57423 that must have been a glitch since it posted after the 2Mb download section.  My case number is:  105517442

Test results from Testmy:  http://testmy.net/quickstats/CGilbert 

08/10/2017 08:09 PM
08/10/2017 08:08 PM
08/10/2017 08:07 PM
08/10/2017 07:24 PM
08/10/2017 07:21 PM
08/10/2017 06:59 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Cal,

I just spoke with an engineer and got confirmation that network adjustments have been implemented and have improved performance overall. I see in your recent testmy.net test results that you're getting pretty good speeds. Do you still have other concerns with your service with which we can help?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@cal.gilbert

The latency results for your account on testmy.net appear to be pretty darned low, and shows you have exceptional speeds on most tests, however, you must use the 25MB Manual Test Package after having clicked Download Test on the site.

Can you share screenshots where you are seeing this packet loss?  Did you make sure your gateway location has no incliment weather paterns in the area that could result in packet loss as well?

That aside, Beam68 is certainly known to have issues right now, and engineering is working on it.

As you probably saw, the testmy results were from the automated test cycle and were not running during the Aug10 window. I modifed the auto test for a 25mb download test, and am currently using that one.  I'll be more closely monitoring activity and will post ping loop results (screenshots) during the next slooooow performance cycle. 

On Aug 10, when the network performance really tanked, there was no inclement weather at my location or at the NOC in Gaithersburg, MD.   Both ping loops to Google and using the Connectity Test to the HN Gateway showed 10-30% packet losses during that period.  Would be nice if Connectiity Test results were stored automatically.

Hello cal.gilbert,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I have moved your post in order for us to better focus on your concerns. I tried troubleshooting your system but was unable to identify your account. Please check your private messages in the top right-hand corner, as I have sent you more information pertaining to this issue. Thanks so much in advance.

-Aedan

Aedan:

I sent you a PM with my information.  

In the meantime, I've noted a bit of slowing this evening although not quite as bad as last week.

Here are my testmy download results:

http://testmy.net/quickstats/CGilbert

Speeds are down this evening from a high of 19 to a low of 3.43Mbps.

Performing 25mb downloads from a hardwired Gigabit Ethernet connection.

Ping times to Google are actually fairly steady at 624ms over a 90 packet test with a max time of 1014ms and no packet loss.

Well speeds are once again tanking.  Right on time it seems. 

See testmy results:

I understand that Beam 68 is having issues, but until they are resolved, I expect some type of account credit for the hassle of having subpar performance.

BTW I ran a HN speed test and got a whopping .28Mbps download speed.  Woohoo!

Ping loops to Google are not showing any packet loss and are averaging 670ms or so (running about 40+ pings per session)

Hello cal.gilbert,

Please check your private messages in the top right-hand corner, as I have sent you more information. Thanks.

-Aedan

Here are my latest results from testmy:

Speeds took a dive about 5PM EST and are still poor.  I just finished up two quick Speedtests from HN and got .44Mbps down and 2.81 up from Dallas.  The second run was to Chicago and it logged a whopping .65Mbps down and 2.58 up.  Of note: Ping loops to Google are still in the 600ms range even though download performance is less than stellar.

Aedan: I read your PM from earlier and anticipate a suitable resolution. 

BTW: A service tech is due at my home on Thursday 17 Aug to perform a dish repoint. Any chance I could get on a faster beam?

Beams are a function of geographical location,m not assignment.

Tweaks or changes to your individual server within the gateway are possible.

So what your're saying is that I'm stuck with sub-par performance on this Beam until/if the issues can be corrected?

Appreciate the information but it is not an answer I was hoping for. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@cal.gilbert wrote:

So what your're saying is that I'm stuck with sub-par performance on this Beam until/if the issues can be corrected?

Appreciate the information but it is not an answer I was hoping for. 

Unfortunately, yes.  Hopefully the issue will be resolved quickly, and they are definitely working on it.  

Wanted to provide an update on the situation:
Technician came out and replaced the radio on my dish in an attempt to address erratic speeds on Thursday.

I haven't had much of a chance to test evening streaming since but will post testmy results when I get a chance to run those tests.  

I wanted to thank all who responded to my posts as everyone provided useful insight on the operations of the newer Gen5 service.  

One item I noticed on the Status is that the number of control packets are astronomical when compared to my Send/Receive packets.   Is that normal?  I noticed this even before the Radio was swapped.

WAN Info
Satellite Receive Signal Strength83
Data Packets Received427974
Control Packets Received67329883
Bursts Transmitted372599
Packets Transmitted161363

That is a lot, but perhaps this time it had to do with re-installation after the transciever was installed.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@cal.gilbert

It's nothing unusual.  I've had my modem powered up for about twenty minutes, and this is what I have so far....

Capture.JPG

Hi Cal,

I just spoke with an engineer and got confirmation that network adjustments have been implemented and have improved performance overall. I see in your recent testmy.net test results that you're getting pretty good speeds. Do you still have other concerns with your service with which we can help?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz:
Thank you for the follow-up.  It appears from my brief testing and general surfing that at least for now, the evening latency issues are definitely improved.  I'll keep up periodic testing and update if needed. Fingers crossed that the network adjustments will keep performance at an acceptable level.

Thanks to the responders for providing insightful information to my posts. 

Wonderful to hear, cal.gilbert. Thank you for the confirmation!

I'm going to lock this thread since you've confirmed we resolved your speed concerns. Feel free to start a new topic if you have other concerns with which we can help.

REALLY?!?!?!?!  What a surprize.  Such a lousy internet provider.