Jupiter 3 is a dud!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024Frustrated
Freshman

Jupiter 3 is a dud!

I've been with Hughesnet for twelve years and gone through multiple upgrades.  I saw the commercials for the Jupiter 3 satellite and called to ask about it.  I was told it would much faster than my previous connection and that it would be plenty fast for me to connect to my company's server and work from home.  I upgraded my plan and equipment, and my speeds are worse than dismal.  I have spent at least four hours with tech support people who cannot explain or address the reasons why the modem has what they claim is a super-fast speed, but the ten feet of ethernet cable to my computer from the modem translates to between 10.2 to 53.3 in download speeds and 0.11 to 0.2 in upload speeds taken at various times over the last week.  I have no hope of working remotely with those speeds.  I have done everything on my end to make sure that drivers are up to date and turned off all my firewall and anti-virus software to see if it was an issue.  I live alone and there is nothing else in a browser or using the internet to suck up speed while I am doing these tests.  I have a ton of data available.  The phone support people go round and round and will not answer any questions regarding the settings that I see when I look at the information for my system.  I have no confidence that they know for sure that everything is set up correctly.  One man kept talking about my wi-fi connection even though I kept telling him that I was connected with an ethernet cable.  I should be working overtime hours here at home for my job instead of spending hours and hours researching possible issues affecting speed or dealing with support people who don't seem knowledgeable.

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You're generalising your experience -- it's not a dud. It's been a dud in your case.  Would you like the HN reps on this site to look at your case? If so, ask, and then wait until one of them looks into your case and gets back to you with information and next steps. Be prepare to troubleshoot with the reps here, even if you have done it with other reps. 

@Remy @Damian @Jay @Amanda @Liz 

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I am generalizing my present experience after spending four hours on the phone with three support people, including a manager.   Sunday afternoons are the only time I have to deal with issues like this as I work six ten-hour days and drive an hour to and from work.  The independent IT contractor that my employer uses has not had the best experience getting HughesNet customers set up to work remotely from home.  I ignored his advice to switch services if I wanted to work at home part of the time.  I have been with HughesNet for twelve years and believed what I was told about this new satellite.  I just want to get this to work for me in the way it was advertised and welcome the help of anyone who can make this happen.  I have done everything that I can do on my end to eliminate issues that could interfere with the service.    The speed tests that I did on the HughesNet support area are there to look at.  They were done when the only use of the internet was the browser that I used to connect to HughesNet. I can respond to emails but cannot spend time on the phone or at my home computer until Sunday.  Thank you.

maratsade

@2024Frustrated , 

Your frustration is completely understandable, no arguments there.  Do you have other services available in your area besides satellite-based Internet? Satellite-based internet, regardless of who supplies it, is high in latency (due to the laws of physics), and this can cause issues depending on what you're using it for. If there are terrestrial internet services in your area, you may want to look into those.

On this site, you will be working here with the reps. They would post and you would reply. They may ask you to send them private messages as well, especially for sensitive information. 

Did you use TestMy.net to run your tests? If you didn't, you may want to create a free account there and run tests there. You will need to run manual tests, and for Gen 5 the sizes are 25 MB up and 3 or 4 MB down. It may be more for Gen 6.   TestMy is the only site accepted on this community site for speed tests. 

Could you list all the troubleshooting steps you already took on your end? That might speed things up.  But if you want to wait, that's OK too.  The reps here can pull up your account (if they can't, they will ask you for further information) and see if there are any notes from when you worked with the phone techs. 

Also, do you have a residential or a business account?

Hang in there. All of this is a process and sometimes it can be very trying.  I am sure the reps here will respond as quickly as they can, especially given that your connection is mostly used for work, but give them some time, as they're not here 24/7.

I sent Remy a private message with my info days ago and have had no response.  I signed up for the TestMy.net site and the tests are terrible.  The download speed is less than 1 Mbps today.  They are less than the upload speed wish is also less than 1 Mbps.  These tests mirror tests that I used from other sites in the past.  The tests on the other sites had download speed of 60 to 70 Mbps a week or so ago with less than 1 Mbps upload speeds.  Basic browsing and email activities were fine.  Something changed in the last week so that browsing, and email is slower.  I haven't used my computer or changed anything since last weekend since I am getting home too late after work to do anything but go to bed. (six days a week).  I need to get this escalated to a real form of support.  I have made it pretty clear that I am here for support.  I am off to work now.  I am now going to have to work on Sunday afternoons as well for a month or so.  I got this upgrade because the salesperson said I would be able to work from home on weekends.  Thank you.

maratsade

I checked your results page -- https://testmy.net/quickstats/2024Frustrated

This looks pretty bad.  I hope @Remy will get back to you this week, or that someone else such as @Liz , @Damian , @Jay , or @Amanda get involved and escalate the case, if it hasn't been escalated already. Keep in mind that the reps on this site act as intermediaries between us subscribers and the techs. They may have already escalated the case and could be waiting for the techs' response, but I hope that they can at least ping the techs to see what may be going on and to give you an update. 

Edited to add: Your post to Remy was on 1/30. That's less than a week ago; sometimes it takes longer for the reps to get responses from the techs. Hopefully you will hear back by the 6th one way or another.  

2024Frustrated,

I see this is your first post here! Welcome to the Community! We'd love to help take a look into this for you, but I was unable to locate your account through your Community profile. Please send me a private message at the link provided below with your account number or a phone number attached!

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/102584

Thanks,

Remy

I sent you a private message a few minutes ago.

2024Frustrated
Freshman

Thank you for your additional response.  I have always had a residential account.  It has been twelve years since I lived in an area that had land situated cable services.  I am surrounded by wheat and hay fields and a massive state park.  Satellite is my only option.  I have tested the speed through several outside test services which were not the one you suggested and the test offered under the HughesNet support tab.  That is the one the support people I talked to had me run multiple times.  I will do the one you suggest, but it will have to be at another time since I am at work now.  How do I show those results to support my situation?

Here is the progression of my situation:

1)   An installer installed the upgrade at my home on 01/12/2024.  I was using wi-fi between the modem and computer at that time (six feet apart from each other).  The installer said it would take 24 hours for full speed to be achieved and that an ethernet cable would be better.  I ordered the cable.

2)   On 01/14/2024 the speeds had not improved over my prior service and the tests that I ran did not look remotely close to what the installer said I would get.  I called support and talked to someone for at least an hour.  He said that he thought the modem was bad and not transmitting wi-fi out correctly.  He set up a replacement modem for shipping to my home.

3)   A day before I got the replacement modem I got my new Cat 6 ethernet cable and installed it.  The speed did not improve, so I was not sure the wi-fi going out of the modem was the problem.  The replacement modem arrived and I followed the instructions to install it on 01/20/2024 before I went to work.  I let it go through what was supposed to be a self-installation process while I was at work.  I came home and the send/receive lights were not on and there was no internet access.

4)  On 01/21/2024 I unplugged it, checked the connections and tried the installation process again.  It failed to install or provide any internet access.  The send/receive lights never came on.  I replaced it with the modem that the installer put in.  It was slow, but at least I had internet access.  I have since shipped the "replacement" modem back to HughesNet.  It will arrive this week according to the tracking number I have.

5)   I spent that morning upgrading all of the hardware drivers, including the network adapter driver, to make sure my hardware was up to date.  I removed almost everything off of my start menu or from running in the background.  I did a utility maintenance to clean up my registry and all of the temporary files, including internet browser files.  I did everything I could do to make sure my hardware and software were not a problem.  I disabled the anti-virus and firewall software before running tests again through outside test sites and the HughesNet support testing option.  I  wanted to make sure that this was not an issue.  There was no improvement at all.

6)   I called HughesNet support later that day and talked to two people, including a manager for a total of at least two hours.  The first person kept talking about and asking about my wi-fi connection and asking how far away my computer was from the modem.  I repeatedly told him that I was connected with a 10 foot new Cat 6 ethernet cable.  I asked questions about the set-up options I could see in the HughesNet area where you use the Admin password on the modem to access.  I was wondering if anything could be set up incorrectly in the modem, but he didn't seem to be familiar with the set-up options.  The manager I talked to was not helpful either.  She kept talking about a VPN and how that might affect my speeds.  I kept telling her that I do not use a VPN.  I ended up telling her that things were going nowhere and that I would think about what I wanted to do next.

After having a chance to look around on HughesNet I found the forum and decided that this is the next step.  I do not know if I have Gen 5 or 6.  I just know that I am on the new satellite.  I can't think of anything else to tell you.  The support people have all told me that I have good speed at the modem.  They have all acknowledged that it is not reflected in speed they see in my tests done through the HughesNet tests when I access the computer.  I can not see the speed at modem point myself.  It isn't logical to me that good speed at the modem level can not translate to decent speed at the computer level.  There would be some degradation, but not to the point of 0.20 download speeds and 700 or more in latency.  I will wait to see further responses or inquiries.  Thank you. 

maratsade

@2024Frustrated ,

I'm sure the information will be helpful to the HN agents on this site. Next step is to send Remy the info they asked for, and hopefully you'll get some help in fixing the issue. I have to tell you that one thing stood out from your post: if the techs tell you the speed your modem is receiving is good, this may mean something on your side is messing up the speed and that something has to be identified, most likely by you, as it may have to do with your configuration. But hopefully Remy will have luck finding out what's messing up your experience. 

GabeU

@2024Frustrated wrote:

3)   A day before I got the replacement modem I got my new Cat 6 ethernet cable and installed it.  The speed did not improve, so I was not sure the wi-fi going out of the modem was the problem.  The replacement modem arrived and I followed the instructions to install it on 01/20/2024 before I went to work.  I let it go through what was supposed to be a self-installation process while I was at work.  I came home and the send/receive lights were not on and there was no internet access.

4)  On 01/21/2024 I unplugged it, checked the connections and tried the installation process again.  It failed to install or provide any internet access.  The send/receive lights never came on.  I replaced it with the modem that the installer put in.  It was slow, but at least I had internet access.  I have since shipped the "replacement" modem back to HughesNet.  It will arrive this week according to the tracking number I have.

Could tech support not help get the new modem activated?

I hope the sending back of the replacement modem was instructed by HughesNet and they gave you an RMA. Without one it may not get to where it needs to, and if that happens you may be charged for it. 

I called tech support about the replacement modem not working and there was nothing they could do with it.  The lights that were supposed to light up after an hour never lit up after hours and it never was usable to access the internet.  Returning the replacement was not easy either.  The return label was on the outside of the box in a plastic sleeve that got moisture in it and smeared (it is winter in Idaho).  The support person kept telling me it was inside the box even though the instructions for the replacement said the return label was on the outside as I described.  That person would not help any further with the return.  I called again and another person gave me the address for equipment returns and said I had to pay to ship it back.  I created a Word document with all of my account information and a description of the entire saga about why I was sent a replacement modem and what I did to try to install the replacement modem.  I don't think I could have done anymore to make it clear what the situation was.  It is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I also have had Hughesnet for 12 years.  I also work from home. I have had multiple repair people out, multiple times and have had no one mention in 12 YEARS that ANY upgrades were available. No replacement of the radio, no new dish, no mention of upgrades, NOTHING!  They patched and left. I guarantee you, when cable comes through here, I am GONE!!! I pay 200.00 a month for close to nothing and they have done close to nothing to help it.

also frustrated.......

maratsade

@natasha01 

This site is for technical and account assistance, not for reviews or rants. There are plenty of sites out there where you can review, complain, and rant to your heart's delight. Go there and leave this site for the people who truly want to get assistance. 

HN2024
New Poster

I concur - Jupiter 3 is a dud for me, too.  Very, very unhappy customer. Had the service for a week and already been down twice with today being the longest time (still not up after 4+ hours - first time was for about 3 hours, the day AFTER installation!).  I am on the East Coast and HN support said weather in Santa Clara, CA is causing the outage!  Support told me to wait an hour or 2 to see if the weather cleared!  First time using satellite internet so I realize it isn’t perfect but HughesNet is lying in it’s new ads.  It works..sure…when it is UP!  I work from home too, ordering Starlink tonight (I have a slow wired connection I haven’t terminated yet) and going to pay the cancellation fee after only 7 days of service just to get away from this company.  Calling Dish tomorrow to disconnect that, too.  No more EchoStar companies in my house!  Should have listened to a neighbor who warned me never to use HughesNet.  Called a friend who has Starlink tonight - he was online, his family was online, multiple devices, no problems and hasn’t had issues in the several MONTHS using the service.  He loves it.  I tried to save a bit and go with HughesNet but now I have to pay even more to get out of the contract. BIG MISTAKE…Thanks HughesNet. Run far away from HughesNet…lies, all lies!

@HN2024 

1. Just because you don't understand how satellites work doesn't make it a lie. Your dish talks to a satellite and the satellite then talks to a groundstation on the West Coast to get to the internet. In your case, the groundstation is in Santa Clara (STC should show in your association ID). Unfortunately this is an El Nino year and there have been several intense storms on the West Coast causing problems. Those storms can interrupt comms to groundstations just like storms local to you interrupt the uplink to the satellite.

2. This site isn't for people to rant and rave all over other people's support 'tickets'. If you're looking for assistance with a technical issue, please start your own unemotionally-charged thread describing the problem, and you'll get help from the appropriate corporate-level personnel, not from farmed out phone support reading from a script.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.