cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

New Poster

Re: New Gen 5 owner in Northern California (slow as molasses)

I am in Washington on the East side of the Cascade range and am becoming more frustrated with this imoroved Gen 5 every day.  I have run the tests and have monitored the acctual performance day to day and after 30 days can say wwith certainty that the biggest problem is inconsistant performance.  It is fast and slow hour to hour and consistantly slow in the evening.  When we want to use it the most of coarse.  I ordered this because the best Centrylink could give me was 1.5 which is painfully slow especially if two devices are downloading at once.  Centrylink customer service is terrable and I has at a deadend with them.  However, that slow speed was cosistant.  With the lag and the inconsistant speed from Hughs Net I have found that the main issue with streaming is that the websites we are trying to stream from time out waiting for the response and then when it finally does come the video has to restart download which is messing up the buffer.  

I have had speed tests in the range of 234 kbps to 22340 so there is speed sometimes and therfore my question is how do I adjust my system so I a.) get consistant and steady speeds 24/7 (15000 kbps +)? and b.) not have to reboot more than once per month which is the norm with cable, fiber and hotspot? 

New Poster

I'm outside of Nevada City in Northern CA as well and a few weeks ago it started to slow down and get inconsistent. Before that it had been fine. I got escalated to tier 4 and now higher but they have no estimated time of when it will be fixed. Very frustrating! My guess is they oversold the beam? Like with others they tried fiddling with my modem settings that seemed to help a little but then a day later still the same terrible performance. 

New Poster

On DSL Reports I saw CORROSIVE mention to someone that they could be having issues due to thier Outroute ID being set to 7, which is a backup. Mine is also set to 7 so perhaps this is a clue?

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID8
Beam ID55
Outroute ID7
Freshman

@Liz , unfortunately what goes up must come down as they say.  

Held out optimism this AM but speeds are now creekely slow again.

Just a note is all.

Back down to 2 to 3 Mbps range.  Guessing by tonight I will be back into slower 1Mbps range.

Man Sad

TJ

Sophomore

Can anyone confirm that the outroute ID 7 is truly a backup?  Everything I am reading sounds like the problems I am also having,, and my outroute id is also 7.. so just wondering if any of this has been confirmed or not?

BTW, I am not in CA, but am in WV.. beam 67... but all this is familiar problems... 

Senior Instructor

@jlantz

Pretty sure it's a backup.  Both Corrosive and Mark have indicated this, and they're both pretty knowledgeable about the service and system.  With that said, while I did experience a few speeds considerably lower than MY normal during the peak usage times, it was only a few times and not consistently, like yours.  It also only stayed on 7 for a few days, which, from what I understand, can happen if there is some type of connection fault, like due to weather or something.  I had forgotten that I had some connection issues due to weather the previous evening of noticing I was on 7.   

Whether being on 7 could cause the types of consistent peak usage time issues you're seeing, I don't know.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

0.23 mbps download 0.58 up said they would call yesterday no call said they would call today............no call this is a **bleep**ing joke

Freshman

0.23 mbps download 0.58 up said they would call yesterday no call said they would call today............no call this is a **bleep**ing joke. now this post will not post becaus the internet is to slow you gotta laugh

Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

@jlantz

"Backup" is probably a bad term that I used. It's just a smaller capacity from the rest of those on beam 55 and 67, as well as with several others.

Whereas most of the beam's outroutes operate at a bandwidth of 246.75MHz and a symbol rate of 235Msps, these smaller outroutes operate at a bandwidth of 157.5MHz and 150Msps.

It's just a lesser capacity outroute even though it still has enough capacity for a host of users.
Just because it's of a lesser capacity it should have no effect on your personal performance.

Perhaps people are getting switched into it just to see if helps relieve some of the slowness issues that people are seeing, or to eliminate some other possible reason.

Sophomore

Well, if I was put on OUtbound 7 t see if it helped, It sure didn't... 

Thu Oct 12 2017 @ 9:48:23 pmDallas, TX USarrow25 MB1.08 Mbps 136 kB/s

THis morning, almost 21 mbps.. .BUT, it seems last night was faster than we've seen it in months, but at 1mbps, still not saying much...