cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vampy
Freshman

Usage meter javascript error

A javascript error occured in the main process.  Uncaught exception:

Error: Error parsing your configuration file:  [C:\Users\Vampy\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\status-meter.config]: Unexpected Token

I tried uninstalling and reininstalling and got the same thing.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks in advance for any help.

HughesError01.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@inthewoodsworki

The following fix for the Javascript error won't cripple your computer.  Just don't delete anything other than what's described in the instructions.  Regarding Windows, you'll probably have to change your folder options to be able to view Hidden Items to see the AppData folder and its contents described in the directions.  To do so, click "View", then check the box for "Hidden Items", as you see in the red boxes in the picture below.  When you're finished with the procedure, uncheck "Hidden Items" so they are hidden again, as they are hidden by default for a reason.  If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to unhide anything. 

Screenshot (72).jpg

The instructions for the JavaScript error.  Credit goes to @MarkJFine

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" folder under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

View solution in original post

136 REPLIES 136

Thanks GabeU.  I go to my Hughesnet Acct every nite at shutdown time to get exact amount of data used.  I keep a daily log of how many MBs of data I use every single day.  Have done this for a very long time.  That is why I know that Gen 5 is really greedy and eats up so much more bandwidth than Gen 4.  I will check out the mobile app for android.  I assume that is what I need for Windows 10?  Thank you for all your help.

GabeU

jimmie_evlyn,

The mobile apps can only be used with those devices, like an iPhone or an Android based phone, but they can still tell you what data you have available on your HughesNet account.  

BTW, and this is a little off topic for the thread, but one thing that might help save some data is installing an ad blocker to whatever browser you use with Windows 10.  Adblock Plus is very common, and it's available for all of the popular browsers.  Ads can use a good little chunk of data to run, and blocking them from doing so can save you that data.   

https://adblockplus.org/   It should detect which browser you use and give you the correct version.  Once it's installed, click on its icon on the upper right of your browswer, go into Options and uncheck "Allow some non-intrusive advertising", as those "non-intrusive" ads still use data.  

This solution did not work for me. I installed the latest update of Java and reinstalled the usage meter. Still getting the unexpected token error. Also when I go online and check my usage, it is not billing correctly. Everything is being put into the anytime data skot which causes me to fall short by about 2 days every month. I spoke with tech support abo0ut this to no satisfaction. This is affecting my business and I rely could use some help.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah... Java has nothing to do with the program at all... The solution isn't what op marked as the solution, the solution is to delete the file that it's complaining about when you get the error.

Hi all!

Thank you for letting us know this has come up again. We've escalated this issue to our development team to figure out why this is happening again. I will post an update here when we've received more information.

Thank you

Amanda

Here's the error message I get:

Screenshot 2017-10-02 19.55.53.png

Is this the same issue as above? 

Not the same... I have no idea what that is.

You may want to completely reinastall, since it looks like something is missing.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

It's Mac... can tell by the 'app.Contents' thing.

The line it's dying on is:
    if (self.config.read('env') === 'development')

which means it can't find ~/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter/status-meter.conf

[note: 'env' is supposed to be 'production', not 'development' anyway]

Edit: * or status-meter.conf is borked.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

A little off topic, but I love that term....borked.  😛

Funny, though, that no one under 40 knows where that term originated.  

index.jpg

Delete HughesNet Status Meter from programs, Go to File Explorer Windows 10, Look in Program Files and delete HughesNet Status Meter, do the same if in Program Files 86. Go to HughesNet websight log in and under My Account, Usage download HughesNet Status Meter again. Once downloaded and installed I unchecked the box to launch, closed the installer, and then clicked the desktop icon and the icon appeared in the task tray. This worked for me. Thanks for those who posted this fix!

That really confused me.  My meter was running fine for a few days and then it stopped and gave me this error.  What do I need to do to fix it without crippling my computer?

GabeU

@inthewoodsworki

The following fix for the Javascript error won't cripple your computer.  Just don't delete anything other than what's described in the instructions.  Regarding Windows, you'll probably have to change your folder options to be able to view Hidden Items to see the AppData folder and its contents described in the directions.  To do so, click "View", then check the box for "Hidden Items", as you see in the red boxes in the picture below.  When you're finished with the procedure, uncheck "Hidden Items" so they are hidden again, as they are hidden by default for a reason.  If you have a Mac, I'm not sure if you have to unhide anything. 

Screenshot (72).jpg

The instructions for the JavaScript error.  Credit goes to @MarkJFine

In the event that this happens:
1. Fully quit the Usage Meter from it's own menu by clicking on the donut in the menubar and clicking "Quit".
2. Look for the following directory
   Windows: C:\Users\[your User name]\AppData\Roaming\
   Mac: /Users/[your User name]/Library/Application Support/
3. Carefully delete just the "HughesNet Usage Meter" folder under that and empty the trash.
4. Restart the Usage Meter. This will regenerate all the underlying information as if it were run for the first time, thus correcting the error.

None of this helps Mac users.  File structures are not the same.  I have been on with Hughes techs and they were zero help.  This is my results trying to run the app:

When starting:

Uncaught Exception:
Error: Error parsing your configuration file: [/Users/haroldmurphy 1/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter/status-meter.conf]: Unexpected end of input
at File.loadSync (/Applications/HughesNet Usage Meter.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/nconf/lib/nconf/stores/file.js:160:11)
at Provider.add (/Applications/HughesNet Usage Meter.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/nconf/lib/nconf/provider.js:137:23)
at Provider.file (/Applications/HughesNet Usage Meter.app/Contents/Resources/app/node_modules/nconf/lib/nconf/provider.js:63:15)
at new Config (/Applications/HughesNet Usage Meter.app/Contents/Resources/app/js/lib/config.js:29:10)
at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (/Applications/HughesNet Usage Meter.app/Contents/Resources/app/app.js:100:23)
at emitOne (events.js:82:20)
at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:169:7)

When quitting:

Uncaught Exception:
TypeError: Cannot read property 'read' of null
at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (/Applications/HughesNet Usage Meter.app/Contents/Resources/app/app.js:373:24)
at emitOne (events.js:82:20)
at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:169:7)

I have deleted, reinstalled, restarted, re downloaded ad nauseaum and have posted on the Apple community.  The 6.6.1 meter program worked on my late 2009 iMac running 10.13.2 but my new 2017 iMac running 10.13.2 won't.  Both Apple and Hughes need to look at this problem and stop pointing at each other.

@gmlsmk10 wrote:

None of this helps Mac users.

I'm a Mac user and in EVERY reply I tell people to:

1. quit the application,

2. delete the entire /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter/ folder,

3. restart it.

2. delete the entire /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter/ folder,

Thanks but,   there is no Library folder under my user name, there is a Library in the System folder but no hughes, under Macintosh HD is a Library folder with Application Support folder but no hughes folder, also no hughes under HD/System Folder/Application Support folder only contains an AppleWorks folder.

I have accessed the folder via a terminal to see any files that might be hidden and no hughes.

How can there be no folder, when the error said there was:

"/Users/haroldmurphy 1/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter/status-meter.conf"

Delete the "/Users/haroldmurphy 1/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter" folder.

EXACTLY

I have just looked through a back-up of my old computer and the folders/files also do not exist but the hughes app is and it worked on that computer. I have run disk utility first aid on new HD, reinstalled the 6.7 version and it still does not work.

The '1' seems to indicate you have two users set up with the name 'haroldmurphy'. Are you sure there's not another hidden one, since Apple just loves to do that with Library folders.

What if you open a Terminal and type (without the '> '):

> ls -la ~/Library/Application\ Support/HughesNet\ Usage\ Meter

if it returns a list of files, you should be able to type (again, without the '> '):

> rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/HughesNet\ Usage\ Meter

to get rid of it.

Edit: While you're in there, you might want to type:

> ls -la /Users

to see if you do in fact have multiple directories named 'haroldmurphy' in there.