Does Hughes Sell Browsing Data ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Does Hughes Sell Browsing Data ?

The Senate just passed a bill to allow sales of ISP data to others.

Does Hughes sell user data?

Cat On Toilet1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Lori
Employee

Good Afternoon, 

Hughes does not rent, sell, or share your Personal Information, including your browsing history, with third parties. You can view our full privacy policy here (http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubscriberPolicies.cfm). 

Thank you, 

Lori 

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@Liz

@Liz wrote:

Hi ecoalex!

I'll send your question up to management.

Has management stated an offical position yet?

Just because something can  be done is no reason that it should  be done.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@Liz

@Liz wrote:

Hi ecoalex!

I'll send your question up to management.

Has management stated an offical position yet?

Just because something can  be done is no reason that it should  be done.

Reality is, profit wins over what is right many times in today's world. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea. Almost like your bank publishing all your transactions. Pathetic.

GW
Advanced Tutor

Can you imagine the reason for this law may be to give the gov't easy access to inspect all of our browsing and search history?

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I guess I was thinking along the lines of .... a restaurant chain that due do personal or corporate ethics or standards chooses to not open for business on a Sunday for example.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, the House voted for it yesterday, and you know the President will sign it into law.  

Times are a changin'.  

Profit Trumps privacy.  

GabeU

@jezra wrote:
Of course HughesNet will sell that data. HughesNet is in business to make a profit and generate ROI for shareholders. There is absolutely no incentive for HughesNet to respect their customer's privacy; and once the POTUS approves the bill, selling customer data will be a legal source of revenue.

No doubt, and any business would, if it's legal.  I don't fault the businesses, as it's in their nature to make money any legal way they can, but I do fault the government for putting business ahead of citizens and money ahead of privacy.  

Regulation is a curse word to some and beautiful word to others.  I'm in the latter category.   

GabeU

@jezra wrote:
Not all businesses are run in such a way that making money by any means necessary is the primary operating goal. Some businesses' might actually be concerned with customer satisfaction.

While that's true to a certain extent, many of the things businesses do to make money aren't things that the customer/consumer are even aware of.  I'm not saying that businesses are inherently evil or anything and will do anything to make money, even at the cost of their customers' peace of mind, but there are definitely things that are done within the realm of their dealings that the customers may not agree with, but won't be an end all, be all for them.  

Plus, if they all do it, it ends up becominging a moot point in some instances.  

When it comes to the topic at hand, I think most people aren't even aware of what is actually being sold, nor how it's used.  The more people educate themselves, the more their voice will be heard when they have an opinion on something, rather than answering the question, "Why are you against it?" with "I don't know."   

But, with all that said, when it comes to this very thing, when it's signed, I'd be willing to bet that just about every ISP out there will take advantage of it.  It's been going on for so long with other aspects of the internet that I don't think this will negatively affect most people in any way differently.  Some, but not most.  Save for ads, of course.          

Edit:  To add, though, I wish none of them did it.  But, since some do, to me, it being done more, and in a different way, isn't that bothersome.  More annoying than anything.    

GabeU

Another deleted post.  

Lori
Employee

Good Afternoon, 

Hughes does not rent, sell, or share your Personal Information, including your browsing history, with third parties. You can view our full privacy policy here (http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubscriberPolicies.cfm). 

Thank you, 

Lori 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Thank You Lori.

As this new legislation becomes law will Hughes notify all subscribers if there is a change in the Subscriber Agreement or other policy changes in regards to this subject prior to any implementation?

GW
Advanced Tutor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Thank You Lori.

As this new legislation becomes law will Hughes notify all subscribers if there is a change in the Subscriber Agreement or other policy changes in regards to this subject prior to any implementation?

I sure hope so because if they fold, you champions will have a lot of work to do teaching us dummies how to protect ourselves using things like tor, opendns, https everywhere, etc. Smiley LOL

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Well, this Shill (formerly known as a Champ) is looking at the VPN settings in my Asus router:

VPN 1 snip.PNGVPN 2 snip.PNG

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Like I said, VPN wouldn't do much if Hughesnet decided to go the route of selling browsing data.  It certainly wouldn't stop third parties from collecting and selling such data, and you can bet any VPN you go through will easily sell such data.  BTW, if going through a VPN, whoever you do, make sure they are trust worthy, wouldn't be hard for them to jack information and use it... 

TOR is not a wise decision either, highly insecure and anyone can view the data going over a TOR network.

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Thank You Lori.

They usually send an email. ETA: At least they have in the past.

Thank You Lori. I agree, if the policy regarding browsing history is released to commercial interests, we should be sent a ntifiication. I would hope other requests for our history say from the NSA, or other authorities, we also should be notified.

We all can hope Hughes lives up to their agreement with the subscribers, whether selling, or sharing actually happens, could occur easily with out our knowledge. Hughes holds all the cards.

TypingCat.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Unlikely they will notify users should any government agency request information, as investigations tend to require secrecy to a certain point...

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Unlikely they will notify users should any government agency request information, as investigations tend to require secrecy to a certain point...

We always knew that user data was available and subject to court order.

My comment was that the Subscriber Agreement that exists between Hughes and its customers constitutes a 'contract'. It currently is Hughes policy to not share user data. If that 'contract' is changed or amended then hopefully users will be made aware of the change so that users can take what they feel are the required steps.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

We always knew that user data was available and subject to court order.

My comment was that the Subscriber Agreement that exists between Hughes and its customers constitutes a 'contract'. It currently is Hughes policy to not share user data. If that 'contract' is changed or amended then hopefully users will be made aware of the change so that users can take what they feel are the required steps.

I was responding to "I would hope other requests for our history say from the NSA, or other authorities, we also should be notified." from maratside.  

maratsade

"I was responding to "I would hope other requests for our history say from the NSA, or other authorities, we also should be notified." from maratside.  "

That wasn't my comment, though.   This conversation is getting so meta. LOL

maratsade

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I was tired when I posted that... SOMEONE SOMEWHERE DID THOUGH LOL

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL