cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bronccat
Junior

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Last night DL was consistently under 1 mbps, up was 2.5 to 4
This morning, DL has ranged from sub 1 to 10.

I have been on 4 chats and they just stop replying or disconnect. One rebooted modem a few times.

I have no phone here, need assistance please. Should I email?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi bronccat,

Thank you for this information. I also noticed on your account that you've reached out to our corporate office, so yes, one of our corporate representatives will be in contact with you to address your concerns. I've shared this thread with him so that he has more details on the troubleshooting attempted thus far. I'll go ahead and close out this thread, as I'm sure our rep will provide you with a resolution.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat wrote:
If the issue is only wifi, then wow. Most devices are going to run on wifi and this makes me think I should have brought another router and used it as an AP so I could better manipulate it. Since day one I wished the HN equipment to be a modem only and user supplied router.

Once your base speed is established by the ethernet connected tests you'll run your WiFi issues can be troubleshooted.  Various things can affect WiFi speed, including those that are not related to HughesNet itself.  In other words, there's nothing yet to say tht a 3rd party router would improve your WiFi speed, as the cause of the WiFi speed issue has yet to be established. 

For reference, you're free to use any 3rd party router you like.  You aren't required to use the HughesNet modem's built in WiFi.  However, it would be wise to first establish the cause of the aforementioned problem.

Oh I totally agree. The answer lies in establishing that it's a wifi issue at the modem and not a local interface issue in general.

I was ranting a bit about a 3rd party router - I'm just appalled at the lack of range with this device. Our cabin is tiny and the 5g signal is paltry.

Welp, found my cable and forgot I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop Smiley Very Happy %#%^*#%)@(

maratsade

emoji-LOL2.png

bronccat wrote:

Welp, found my cable and forgot I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop Smiley Very Happy %#%^*#%)@(

EXACTLY!  One will be here in the AM.

Still testing at sub 1mbps.  Tried changing channels, mhz, etc. and no improvement.  I'll post back tomorrow.

maratsade

Hope it'll be better tomorrow.  Without the link to your My Results page on Testmy.net, though, you're basically just spinning your wheels here and wasting opportunities. 

I can certainly do that but I didn't think anyone wanted to see them until I was testing over ethernet connection
GabeU

@bronccat 

Are you still in your first 20 days as a customer?  

The reason I ask this is that I wonder if what may be going on is that one or more of your connected devices are continually sapping your bandwidth.  If they were still connected while you were testing, and they were sapping bandwidth, it would most definitely affect your speed.  And, with the first 20 days being a time of continual data replenishment, you may never know that something on your network is using huge amounts of data.  

What devices do you have connected?  The reason I ask is that some devices can use inordinate amounts of data.  Just in case, you can see your currently connected and currently disconnected devices on this modem page.  The disconnected devices are those that were connected, but are no longer, or at least not at present, since the last time the modem was plugged in.

My second billing cycle started yesterday. Everyday during the first, it reset to 100% available. It said I used 2.1 GB yesterday - I could account for all of that. Laptop (cloud file transfer), phone (various apps) and firestick was .7 GB. I did not stream on FS but have now turned off autoplay, minimized quality, etc.

After saying I used 2.1 - said I had 19.7 of 20 available? Hmmm

I am waiting for USB to Ethernet so I brought home another router today to see if the wifi was better - it was the same, or worse.

I'll test at modem tomorrow with wifi off and other router unplugged.

Here are my results FWIW. All on wifi - from my phone and laptop.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Bronccat

I'll add, performance wise it's been this way since day one - although I just this week starting speed testing. The moment it was testing at 20, it was obviously faster.

Good news is I am already used to Throttle down speeds - or worse lmao
maratsade

Ouch. Your upload speeds are acceptable, but your download speeds are awful.  Let's see what happens with the direct connection. 

bronccat wrote:

Exactly. The UL has been better than expected all the while. I'll take those UL speeds all day.

@bronccat wrote:

There is a LAN Speed Test.  This test may not be useful for the HughesNet engineers and techs, but I guess if the wired hook up is not available for a bit, then at least you can run a speed test between the HT2000W and your computer without passing data over the satellite or Internet to see if there are locations in your place where WiFi performance is bad or good due to something?  At least it will give an idea how well the WiFi is working even if it does not tell you anything else...also this test does not count against your data as it does not go over the satellite, so you can test away!  You may have seen this already, but I thought I would mention it.

It is on this screen under General on the left:

LANTEST.png

If you have Windows, you can watch the Task Manager for fun -- if you see the graph looks like a fork or has drops, it may indicate something else talking on the frequency the WiFi is using.  In this screen shot I ran the LAN test twice:

taskmanager.png

*This seemed to fail posting the first time, maybe it will post now that I waited a few minutes.

GabeU

@bronccat 

Link for the LAN Speed Test mentioned above...

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/lan_speed

As soon as you click the test link it will run and test the modem/device throughput for that particular device.

On my phone, both routers we around 40 mbps on 2g and 85 to 160 on 5g
GabeU

@bronccat wrote:
On my phone, both routers we around 40 mbps on 2g and 85 to 160 on 5g

Both routers?   Are you referring to the two WiFi bands or have you added a 3rd party router?  

Yes, I added a Netgear AC1200 to test that wifi vs the base unit. Same results. Range is much better but same issues.
GabeU

@bronccat 

Ah, okay.  I see now that you'd mentioned the second router earlier.   

Thank you for the clarification.  🙂

Just a thought:

If you're able to use 802.11ac you'll vastly increase lan speed via wifi. By doing so you're increasing the capacity and throughput the router can handle so things don't get locally congested if there are multiple devices active on the system.

That's just for wifi though. You get max throughput using a LAN cable regardless, which is why you want to speed test that way (and with wifi disabled) - it isolates the wifi protocol (as well as strength) out of the equation.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I'm still at 675kb $&#*@(
Any reason I shouldn't try a factory reset on the modem?
I'm driving to town tomorrow to curse tech support over the phone (no apologies here lmao)