cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Why don't you post your test results from Testmy? Do you want to work on the issue or just complain about it? You have a great opportunity here to reach people in corporate headquarters, and you haven't provided one iota of real evidence for your speed issues. 

Do you have HughesNet Voice? That's their VOIP technology -- the system doesn't work without it.  

Is there another service you can consider instead of HughesNet?

Highlighted
Senior

@bronccat 

You definitely want to run this test hard wired.  WiFi problems are complex and crazy hard to fix so you want to be sure your connection using the wired cable gives a good result before moving on to finding issues with the WiFi.  You want to to get a group of results up there according to those step that maratsade gave, and then the advanced group that gives support through this site are much better at assisting folks than the lower level phone/chat group.

For my first 6 months with HughesNet, I had fantastic WiFi -- then the leaves started to come off the trees and the neighbors WiFis were stomping all over mine.  Being sure you do not have a problem with your dish or modem or something that must come first or you will go crazy.

Once you have some good tests up there, you can let them know by posting your link to the testmy.net results.  Although I assume your results are the ones for bronccat.

Highlighted
Sophomore

I just want to complain 🙄

Look, I know you're "highly rated" and I appreciate your insight but if you aren't going to read the previous comments - what's the point? As stated above I DON'T HAVE AN ETHERNET CABLE at the moment.

As for their VOIP service, I don't have it. I have another VOIP and the DL is so slow that I cannot utilize it. Again, stated above.

And again - you keep going back to baseline issues (like wifi traffic, etc) when I have clearly posted that I've addressed this.

I don't know what else to say. I want to appreciate your help - but then again I don't need your apologist diatribe.

Again, the facts.

Wifi testing on Testmy is consistently 1 mb or less across different wifi devices - with no other wifi traffic. I have no ethernet cable at the moment and I cannot call because the DL is too slow.

UL has been fine the entire time. DL was fine for one day (20 mbps) since last friday. All other tests have been around 1 mbps.

Sure I can post the testmy log but it's all wifi so it "doesn't count"

You can't help someone if you completely ignore the information they are providing. If you want to help me, great. If not, move along.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thank you MrBuster. I will run the analytics once I find my ethernet cable. I am quite savvy at troubleshooting network issues but this modem is foreign to me.

(This isn't at you) what's maddening to me is that I have brand new equipment that's showing great DL speeds at the modem according to HN. If the issue is only wifi, then wow. Most devices are going to run on wifi and this makes me think I should have brought another router and used it as an AP so I could better manipulate it. Since day one I wished the HN equipment to be a modem only and user supplied router.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat wrote:
If the issue is only wifi, then wow. Most devices are going to run on wifi and this makes me think I should have brought another router and used it as an AP so I could better manipulate it. Since day one I wished the HN equipment to be a modem only and user supplied router.

Once your base speed is established by the ethernet connected tests you'll run your WiFi issues can be troubleshooted.  Various things can affect WiFi speed, including those that are not related to HughesNet itself.  In other words, there's nothing yet to say tht a 3rd party router would improve your WiFi speed, as the cause of the WiFi speed issue has yet to be established. 

For reference, you're free to use any 3rd party router you like.  You aren't required to use the HughesNet modem's built in WiFi.  However, it would be wise to first establish the cause of the aforementioned problem.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

I'll add in response to maratsade:
I was clearly venting at the absurdity of their email support. They aren't even reading the email chain when replying to my last reply - just spewing the same response with no regard for the previous comments. How is that remotely support? And they've done it again, twice.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Oh I totally agree. The answer lies in establishing that it's a wifi issue at the modem and not a local interface issue in general.

I was ranting a bit about a 3rd party router - I'm just appalled at the lack of range with this device. Our cabin is tiny and the 5g signal is paltry.
Highlighted
Sophomore

Welp, found my cable and forgot I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop Smiley Very Happy %#%^*#%)@(

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

emoji-LOL2.png

bronccat wrote:

Welp, found my cable and forgot I don't have an ethernet port on my laptop Smiley Very Happy %#%^*#%)@(

Highlighted
Sophomore

EXACTLY!  One will be here in the AM.

Still testing at sub 1mbps.  Tried changing channels, mhz, etc. and no improvement.  I'll post back tomorrow.