cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Hope it'll be better tomorrow.  Without the link to your My Results page on Testmy.net, though, you're basically just spinning your wheels here and wasting opportunities. 

Highlighted
Sophomore

I can certainly do that but I didn't think anyone wanted to see them until I was testing over ethernet connection
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat 

Are you still in your first 20 days as a customer?  

The reason I ask this is that I wonder if what may be going on is that one or more of your connected devices are continually sapping your bandwidth.  If they were still connected while you were testing, and they were sapping bandwidth, it would most definitely affect your speed.  And, with the first 20 days being a time of continual data replenishment, you may never know that something on your network is using huge amounts of data.  

What devices do you have connected?  The reason I ask is that some devices can use inordinate amounts of data.  Just in case, you can see your currently connected and currently disconnected devices on this modem page.  The disconnected devices are those that were connected, but are no longer, or at least not at present, since the last time the modem was plugged in.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

My second billing cycle started yesterday. Everyday during the first, it reset to 100% available. It said I used 2.1 GB yesterday - I could account for all of that. Laptop (cloud file transfer), phone (various apps) and firestick was .7 GB. I did not stream on FS but have now turned off autoplay, minimized quality, etc.

After saying I used 2.1 - said I had 19.7 of 20 available? Hmmm

I am waiting for USB to Ethernet so I brought home another router today to see if the wifi was better - it was the same, or worse.

I'll test at modem tomorrow with wifi off and other router unplugged.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Here are my results FWIW. All on wifi - from my phone and laptop.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Bronccat
Highlighted
Sophomore

I'll add, performance wise it's been this way since day one - although I just this week starting speed testing. The moment it was testing at 20, it was obviously faster.

Good news is I am already used to Throttle down speeds - or worse lmao
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Ouch. Your upload speeds are acceptable, but your download speeds are awful.  Let's see what happens with the direct connection. 

bronccat wrote:
Here are my results FWIW. All on wifi - from my phone and laptop.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Bronccat

Highlighted
Sophomore

Exactly. The UL has been better than expected all the while. I'll take those UL speeds all day.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat 

If you're trying to reconcile what it shows on the daily parts of the monthly usage graph with what your total usage is showing, it may very well be off.  A month or so back a few of us noticed that the monthly graphs weren't reporting data usage properly on their breakdowns.  HughesNet is aware of the issue and it's been escalated to the engineers. 

The total usage still appears to be correct, however, as in the data level "donuts", with the "X used of X in your plan" and the percentage used indicator, but the monthly breakdown is being goofy.  I just noticed on my monthly usage graph that the dates aren't even correct now for my data cycle.  

It's the Gremlins I tell ya, Gremlins!!!  Just kidding, and just a little levity for what is no doubt a bit frustrating.  🙁

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

Lol, I WON'T get water on the modem ;-)

What's been the most frustrating has been their inability to communicate logically. They keep sending me back to phone and chat that won't work with the current DL and that resolves nothing.

Finally, someone emailed today and basically said that the people answering emails aren't equipped to deal with this. Only chat / call people.