Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

Highlighted
Senior

Re: Speed issues, can't stay on chat for Help

@bronccat wrote:
Here are my results FWIW. All on wifi - from my phone and laptop.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Bronccat

There is a LAN Speed Test.  This test may not be useful for the HughesNet engineers and techs, but I guess if the wired hook up is not available for a bit, then at least you can run a speed test between the HT2000W and your computer without passing data over the satellite or Internet to see if there are locations in your place where WiFi performance is bad or good due to something?  At least it will give an idea how well the WiFi is working even if it does not tell you anything else...also this test does not count against your data as it does not go over the satellite, so you can test away!  You may have seen this already, but I thought I would mention it.

It is on this screen under General on the left:

LANTEST.png

If you have Windows, you can watch the Task Manager for fun -- if you see the graph looks like a fork or has drops, it may indicate something else talking on the frequency the WiFi is using.  In this screen shot I ran the LAN test twice:

taskmanager.png

*This seemed to fail posting the first time, maybe it will post now that I waited a few minutes.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@bronccat 

Link for the LAN Speed Test mentioned above...

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/lan_speed

As soon as you click the test link it will run and test the modem/device throughput for that particular device.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

On my phone, both routers we around 40 mbps on 2g and 85 to 160 on 5g
Highlighted

@bronccat wrote:
On my phone, both routers we around 40 mbps on 2g and 85 to 160 on 5g

Both routers?   Are you referring to the two WiFi bands or have you added a 3rd party router?  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

Yes, I added a Netgear AC1200 to test that wifi vs the base unit. Same results. Range is much better but same issues.
Highlighted

@bronccat 

Ah, okay.  I see now that you'd mentioned the second router earlier.   

Thank you for the clarification.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Just a thought:

If you're able to use 802.11ac you'll vastly increase lan speed via wifi. By doing so you're increasing the capacity and throughput the router can handle so things don't get locally congested if there are multiple devices active on the system.

That's just for wifi though. You get max throughput using a LAN cable regardless, which is why you want to speed test that way (and with wifi disabled) - it isolates the wifi protocol (as well as strength) out of the equation.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Sophomore

I'm still at 675kb $&#*@(
Any reason I shouldn't try a factory reset on the modem?
I'm driving to town tomorrow to curse tech support over the phone (no apologies here lmao)
Highlighted

@bronccat wrote:
I'm still at675kbb $&#*@(
Any reason I shouldn't try a factory reset on the modem? 

Yes.  A factory reset should only be done for specific reasons and only under the instruction of a HughesNet rep.  This is for various reasons, the most important of which is that a reset performed improperly or in the wrong instance can cause more harm than good. 

The reps will be back on Monday.  Hopefully your adapter will be in soon and you can get a few directly connected speed tests in to start getting the help you need from them.  Make sure that when you've run the tests you indicate so so that they can start their troubleshooting.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thanks. So they don't work weekends? Great!

I leave here Monday morning. I guess I'll call from home and get some ideas. They have got to master email support or something. No way voip is working at these speeds.