Video buffering, Slow loading web pages and timing out, Data loss

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kf4ipc
Sophomore

Video buffering, Slow loading web pages and timing out, Data loss

I have had my service just over a month and I went from crappy slow DSL to worse. I can't watch a video without it buffering every few minutes at the lowest resolution possible and websites will time out. I wasn't out of data at the time and it doesn't mater the time of day. I have good signal strength and when I do a speed test it will show 20 Mbps or better. I have also tried my laptop that is almost new so it is not loaded down with stuff running in the background and I get the same results. I also have some kind of data loss with computers and wifi turned off and nothing connected to the modem, some days I will loose close to 1 gig of data within a 12 hour time period when no one is home or using the Internet. If I knew Satellite Internet was going to be this bad I would have kept my DSL, at least I could watch videos without them buffering when it worked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi kf4ipc, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

@kf4ipc wrote:

........................... I also have some kind of data loss with computers and wifi turned off and nothing connected to the modem, some days I will loose close to 1 gig of data within a 12 hour time period when no one is home or using the Internet.

The only time I experienced data losses that large was from an Iphone.   Are you sure you have the WIFI turned off completely?  Is the WIFI light out on the front of the modem?

.....................................If I knew Satellite Internet was going to be this bad I would have kept my DSL, at least I could watch videos without them buffering when it worked.

I just hope you can get your DSL back again.  I get the feeling that the phone companies are trying to eliminate all land line services.  I've been trying to get DSL for years.  I'm always told:  "Sorry, we don't have enough server capacity to give you DSL."   Of course, they never seem to even consider adding more server capacity, which in these days has become less and less expensive.

I have a 2 year contract with Hughes Net so I guess I'll be stuck with this crap that was hyped up to be so much better than dsl, I hear it on the local radio stations every day about how great it is, I don't see it. Hopefully they will have fiber in my area by the time my contract ends.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's your choice to sit around griping about your network and doing nothing about it (other than vigorous griping), but another option is to troubleshoot the network with the help of the people on this site and fix what's wrong.  You can also cancel the service. There will be a monetary penalty for breaking the contract, but if you're so miserable and prefer not to try to figure out why your network is having issues, the fee may be a better choice than the misery.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

kf4ipc wrote:

I have a 2 year contract with Hughes Net so I guess I'll be stuck with this crap that was hyped up to be so much better than dsl, I hear it on the local radio stations every day about how great it is, I don't see it. Hopefully they will have fiber in my area by the time my contract ends.

@kf4ipc wrote:

Hopefully they will have fiber in my area by the time my contract ends.

Good luck with that, I've been waiting for fifteen years   :>)>

The mods should be back next week.  Maybe they can look at your system and help.

Hi kf4ipc, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@kf4ipc wrote:

I also have some kind of data loss with computers and wifi turned off and nothing connected to the modem, some days I will loose close to 1 gig of data within a 12 hour time period when no one is home or using the Internet.  

How is it that you are turning your WiFi off?  Unless you are completely disabling the WiFi in the HT2000W modem it's possible that something is still connecting and still using the data.  You can see what is connected, and what was connected, to the HT2000W modem here.  

From what service are you watching the videos?  Is it streaming or something like Youtube?   

If the device(s) you have been trying to watch the video(s) on is connected via WiFi, do you have a device with which you can connect via LAN cable and try that way?  If so, you should also try it while the WiFi is disabled in the HT2000W modem.  That way it ensures that no WiFi device is sapping any bandwidth while you are trying to stream.  You can disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem with the following instructions.  It's a copy/paste from another thread, so it sounds a little impersonal.  

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

I mostly watch videos on You-tube and I also have videos that I have to watch for training on several different equipment manufactures websites. As far as turning off wifi, I go into the wifi settings and unchecked ssid enable and save on each of the 4 sections. Normally all I see on devices connected is my desktop (Wired) , 2 cell phones and my laptop (wifi) when it is turned on.  My plan just reset on the 19th and I haven't used my computer (turned off) or wifi (turned off) since Friday,  and it already says that I have used almost 600 MB in one day, at this rate I'll be out of data half way through the month. 

Service Plan Data
97% REMAINING
491.0 MB Used
19509.0 MB Available
Bonus Zone
99% REMAINING
113.0 MB Used
49887.0 MB Available

@kf4ipc wrote:

........................  My plan just reset on the 19th and I haven't used my computer (turned off) or wifi (turned off) since Friday,  and it already says that I have used almost 600 MB in one day, at this rate I'll be out of data half way through the month. 

IMO you must still have a data leech out there somewhere.  It's very easy to make a mistake and leave a radio enabled.  I always go to wifi, advanced settings, wireless, and uncheck both radios there.  This has the advantage of turning off the wifi light on the front of the modem, so you can instantly see the state of your wifi.

If either one of the two cell phones you mentioned is an Iphone, that could be your problem,  Iphones can use gigs of data in a short period of time.

GabeU

@kf4ipc 

I know you say you have everything turned off and nothing connected, but it sounds to me like there is still something using data.  But, there is a test that should be run to verify whether this is the case.  It's called a modem isolation test.  It's basically disabling the WiFi, then with a LAN cable connected computer taking a snapshot of the HughesNet Usage Meter with your desktop clock in the snapshot.  Then disconnect the LAN cable, wait at least four hours (overnight is fine), then reconnect the LAN cable and take a snapshot of the HughesNet Usage Meter with your desktop clock in the picture.  Then, post both snapshots into a reply.  Do not unplug the HughesNet modem while the test is being performed, as that will negate the purpose of the test.  

This test will determine whether the leak is on HughesNet's end or your end.  The instructions from a copy/paste...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below. This is known as a modem isolation test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with HughesNet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disabled the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours. HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work. DO NOT unplug the modem from the power. The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock displayed on your computer.
7: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please DO NOT unplug the modem power after running the test. The reps need to be able to reconcile the test results with the modem logs, and disconnecting the power from the modem erases those logs.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occurred, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchaining "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

BuggsandDaisy
New Poster

I just started service with Hughes 5 days ago....buffering terrible...cannot watch any videos on my TV...I have called Hughes 5 times in four days....each tech does a bunch of stuff and then says it is fixed.... I asked to speak to an supervisor...I told this person that  I wanted to cancel Hughes...she said if I do I will be charged $400.00 early cancellation...even though it is a poor system at their end....she then proceeded to do some things to the equipment....she said that if their are  winds or rains this will interfere with the video downloading...well yes I do live in Washington State....where it does rain in the winter !!! given that...she did some adjustments and this help with the problem....I still cannot get any on demand selections without terrible buffering....even when I leave it to continue downloading and come back...the same thing happens....so I am left with an less then adequate Hughes Net....oh and did I mention....the installer was over an 1hour late....when he did show....put the Hugfhes Dish right on top of my Dish...(Dish TV)   when I told him that I could not use the Dish....he told me that he did not have any equipment to fix it...so I called Dish and they came out the next day and moved their dish ....telling me that the Hufghes net tech should have known better !! So there it is....I am a senior citizen and caregiver to my senior husband who has Cancer and Dementia....believe me this whole stuff is so exhausting..I should have known better and left my orginal systems in place

I hate to say this, but if you want the mods here to look at your system,  you should start a new topic and post there.
@BuggsandDaisy wrote:

.................I told this person that  I wanted to cancel Hughes...she said if I do I will be charged $400.00 early cancellation...even though it is a poor system at their end....

The way I feel about charging an early termination fee after only five days:  Well, they can charge me all they want to --  getting me to pay it is a whole other story.

GabeU

@BuggsandDaisy 

I suggest starting a new topic here so troubleshooting can be done to figure out what is causing the issue. 

BTW, are you turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver when you stream, especially if you're trying to stream in HD? 

Also, please keep in mind that streaming is a very data intensive activity, and doing a lot of it can wipe out your monthly allotment of high speed data very quickly.