Any known issue for Northern California today - 66K downloads under FAP

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Any known issue for Northern California today - 66K downloads under FAP

Any other users here in Northern California struggling to even connect and do simple emails or web access.  

Today, under FAP, I am getting sub 100K downloads.  About same for uploads.

It is like pulling teeth today!!!

Unpluged modem... same.

Reception on dish is good, normal 120 or so.

Clear nice blue day here today.

Best I have seen today is 300K.  

Most all have been under 100.  YES.. under 100K.  It is getting really bad.

TJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Thomas,

I just ran diagnostics on your site and it's working normally, it's just that the monthly data is depleted so speeds are reduced (currently seeing ~270k). Please keep in mind that while subject to the Fair Access Policy, these reduced speeds are further split up between all the devices on your network. 

A few options available of course, can try limiting to one device to see if there's a noticeable improvement, using a data token, or waiting until the data reset date.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Oh... here are all my TestMy results.

And mistake... last was 62K. Not even 66.  

Oh where is that extra 4K I could use right now!

https://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

TJ

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Where is your gateway?

@maratsade wrote:

Where is your gateway?

Howdy maratsade, been a while since I been here... hope you been good.

To answer your question... here is my info.

Satellite NameEchoStar-17-NADGateway ID3Beam ID19Outroute ID18

thx

TJ

maratsade

Hey macsociety, it's good to see you here, though I'm sorry you're experiencing such low speeds. 

From the info you provided, I can't figure out where your gateway would be located. I get the gateway location from the "IP Gateway Association State" line in the System Status page of the SCC.   I was thinking maybe there was an issue at the gateway (which is in another state), such as weather or something with the gateway itself. 

I hope a rep can check for you. 

@maratsade wrote:

Hey macsociety, it's good to see you here, though I'm sorry you're experiencing such low speeds. 

From the info you provided, I can't figure out where your gateway would be located. I get the gateway location from the "IP Gateway Association State" line in the System Status page of the SCC.   I was thinking maybe there was an issue at the gateway (which is in another state), such as weather or something with the gateway itself. 

I hope a rep can check for you. 

Is this what you are looking for?

TJ

IP Gateway Association StateAssociated (Data IPGW - AMA19HNSIGW0205Adv)
GabeU

@macsociety 

Your Gateway is in Amarillo, TX.

@GabeU wrote:

@macsociety 

Your Gateway is in Amarillo, TX.

Cool to know.

Does this stay constant or changes?

Pretty sure I have had to see that before but I forget things from yesterday so don't recall last time I saw this info.

lol.

So guessing you need to see what gateway you are at and where you are to confirm weather in both places is good.

If you see a storm in Amarillo... then expect turbulence.

TJ

Funny, after all day being a lame duck and less than 100k runs.. I just had a 700k download run... I will take it if she stays steady captain!

Will see.

Must admit 62k has been the lowest I have seen mine go for a bit since I 1st started with Gen 5 before coming from Gen 4.

I always get slow speeds still but if they can be at least 500s to 900k range I can get by for work.

These less than 100k is brutal I must admit and of course it comes when I have deadlines to meet.

Murphy's Law.

TJ

maratsade

"These less than 100k is brutal I must admit and of course it comes when I have deadlines to meet.

Murphy's Law."

We can all sympathise with this, I'm sure. Been there.  I hope the speed stays within a range you can work with!

maratsade

The gateway doesn't change, so it'd always be Amarillo for you.  

Good to hear you got a bit higher speed. That 62 kbps is pretty rotten, around dialup speed. 🙂

maratsade

@macsociety wrote:

Is this what you are looking for?

TJ

IP Gateway Association StateAssociated (Data IPGW - AMA19HNSIGW0205Adv)

Yes! Thank you. Gabe beat me to it, though. 🙂

GabeU

@macsociety 

@maratsade 

Just before I saw your post I saw another with a similar issue, so I'm wondering if the other person is on the same Gateway, or even the same satellite and beam.  It doesn't appear to be weather related, or at least not with yours. 

Hopefully it's just a "hiccup" that will get back to normal very soon.  Maybe the Gremlins are on a constant road trip and they just happened to be in Amarillo or Northern CA today.  😂

Dead again... argh. Two days in a row. Early this AM we were fine then boom... sub 100K downloads. Hughesnet, please assist.  What seems to be going on with my connection.  In FAP, this AM had a normal download of 800K... then whack, down to 200s.. then double whack... 98K.

Please inform and thanks in advance.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I just ran diagnostics on your site and it's working normally, it's just that the monthly data is depleted so speeds are reduced (currently seeing ~270k). Please keep in mind that while subject to the Fair Access Policy, these reduced speeds are further split up between all the devices on your network. 

A few options available of course, can try limiting to one device to see if there's a noticeable improvement, using a data token, or waiting until the data reset date.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz, so 26k and 41k are OK speeds under FAP?

Also, if one device as you say, 270k is acceptable too?

Curious.

See my tests I just did... 

Thanks

TJ

@Liz 

Can you let me know if 87k... with only 1 computer connected to the Hughesnet Router and both 2.4 and 5Ghz turned off on the Hughes modem so only 1 device is connected... is a good speed and what I should be getting under FAP.

Right now I have this setup above and gett under 100K.

Please let me know.

That 87k was just run at 12:45 PST.

Regards

TJ

@Liz 

I will leave my setup in this config for the next few hours if you can check.

Seems really really really low even under FAP with only 1 computer connected and wifi turned off.

Thanks

TJ

I will also add I can barely get on this site and trying to run tests at testmy site stalls every other run so sometimes it starts a test and stalls... I have to start all over... and then still see very slow speeds.. slow speeds sub 100K and at best in mid 100s.

Something seems very off even under FAP which I am very familiar with.  Always in it but normally I still get 500K or above... sub 100k something is off here in my opinion even with 1 device connected.

Thanks

TJ

The thing with reduced speeds under the Fair Access Policy is that reduced speeds will be under 1Mbps, we don't have a range more specific than that. It's just generally less than 1 Mbps, and just like for a subscriber with monthly data left, speeds can vary by several Mbps due to all kinds of factors.

-Liz

@Liz wrote:

The thing with reduced speeds under the Fair Access Policy is that reduced speeds will be under 1Mbps, we don't have a range more specific than that. It's just generally less than 1 Mbps, and just like for a subscriber with monthly data left, speeds can vary by several Mbps due to all kinds of factors.

-Liz

Understood but that is a shame.  This is the slowest I have ever experienced since being with Hughes starting back in early 2000s... getting any run with one device connected and wifi turned off and getting a 63k test is worse than 2g one can get on an old cell device.  So in a matter of a day it went from the normal 500k to 800K under FAP with wifi left on to 63k with one device connected and wifi off so non of my home is now served other than 1 computer and can't even get emails now, or sporatically.  My email all day as been timing out several times.

Not a happy customer but what can I do.  Tokens are not an option as even when I am not under FAP I have seldom achieved the speeds advertised or even a small subset of those speeds.  

May be time to go back to cell unfortunately as under 100k just does not cut it.  

Thanks for your time.

Thomas