Hughesnet Community

Severe speed issues, is there an issue at Hughes?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danny89
Junior

Severe speed issues, is there an issue at Hughes?

Since the morning of August 11th, ive been having severe speed issues. I barely get more than 20kbs when downloading, im having a lot of trouble loading anything on Facebook, cant use Youtube, so forth for so on. The last speed test ive done using the speed test on this site says my download speed was 0.35, and upload was 2.36. Im out of data in the day time, but ive still got about 3GB of night time data, as in, as I post this. I was barely able to get to this website

Ive rebooted my modem several times from the control panel, and ive unplugged it, let it sit for 10 minutes, and replugged. No improvement. My signal strength is 105 as I post this, there are no weather issues in my area, and my modem is looking perfectly fine, as in, no strange lights or anything

Furthermore, on the morning of the 13th after about 10AM, it picked up speed and ran at normal speeds. Having the same issues on another computer thats directly plugged into the modem. I havent tried using other online devices to check it though!

So is there maintence or issues at Hughes?

Thanks for your time! Hope this can be fixed, this is barely better than dial up right now

Edit: https://testmy.net/quickstats/DanKaiser

Heres my speed stats, im doing further testing! At this point, as suggested, ive stopped doing the testing since im in FAP condition, and with the 25MB size, its not even downloading. Speeds are at 40kB/s, and theres a lot of issues connecting. Still no obvious issues with my modem, and the speeds are the same using wifi or a wired ethernet connection, and ive tested on multiple devices and multiple browsers. The issue started sometime last week, and was fairly transitory, but became worse. On Saturday morning, when I made this topic, it fixed itself until 4AM Monday morning, after a storm rolled through. My current state code as of this edit is 24.1.1, but I had data during the beginning of the slowness issues so that should not be the issue. Hope we get some investigation going soon!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for the update, Danny89. There are times when heavy traffic demands will slow down your browsing performance but our network engineers are continually assessing service performance metrics and adjusting parameters to accommodate the increasing demand for internet bandwidth. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Go to the modem's page (http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status) and post what the number next to State Code is, especially at times when the speed is so slow  That will provide some information about what may be going on. 

You will also need to post the URL to your My Results page from Testmy.net. 

As of now, my speeds are normal, that started at 6AM

My state code was either FAP Condition or Fully Operational, the whole time. Its been 0.0.0 Fully Operational since 2AM, even when I was unable to load a webpage, and if I attempted to download my game from Steam, it would hold at less than 20KBs(At 6AM when it came back to normal speeds, it went up to 900kbs and even peaked at 2.5MBs!)

I'll post the speeds from TestMy if the problem starts again. Hopefully it won't, but it did this yesterday where in the morning it suddenly fixed itself..and then by night it was extremely slow to the point of not being usable, which is what makes me think theres some other issue. Oh, and I checked further devices, and they all reported the extremely slow speeds during the...slow time

Im having flashbacks to when i was on dial up

Edit: Getting some baseline from TestMy if needed!

maratsade

Let's hope it was a transitory thing, but getting some baseline speed tests would be a good idea, and then running tests if the issue comes back.  Hopefully it won't, at least during the weekend. 

GabeU

@Danny89 

Make sure that if/when you run the tests at testmy you follow the troubleshooting protocol.  Just in case, the full instructions are as follows...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Starting at 6AM on Saturday started acting right, but last night at 4AM(Monday morning) a storm came through, knocked out my internet for awhile of course, and when it came back its doing this extreme slow speeds

Based on the three 12-25MB download tests ive done, speeds are at 40KBs which I believe is abnormal, and I can barely run any website while its acting up like this. Computer is directly plugged into the modem, WiFi is deactivated. Ive used multiple browsers on this computer, and ive tried another computer and a Nintendo Switch, all with the same results

But obviously its a transient problem. Is there any information on the Beam still being heavily overloaded, or some other kind of issues? I'll edit with my speed tests in a few, its taking awhile but I wanted to have some time between them. I forgot about the special download speed, and over Saturday and Sunday I had done the standard tests. Further more, im on total throttle now, no data for regular times or the bonus zone, but I was in that state all of Sunday and it ran well, speeds on a download showing up as over 200KBs

https://testmy.net/quickstats/DanKaiser

Got the quickstats, I'll do a couple more download tests!

maratsade

It's likely the weather interfering with the signal. 

EDIT: When the issue is taking place, please post the modem's state code, which can be found here:  http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status

Can't be the weather, thats already gone and there was no storms when this started last week.

Right now my state code is 24.1.1 Download Throttled. Satellite recieve strength is 105

maratsade

The 24.1.1 code means you've exceeded your monthly data and that your speeds will be throttled until your data resets. You can also buy tokens to reset it before that. 

If you have bonus data left, your speed will be normal during bonus time (2 am to 8 am your local time). 

Oh, I know. Ive just never had a throttle so hard that it has literally made me incapable of using the internet. AND most importantly, I had data when the problem first began, I didn't run out of Data until later on Saturday

https://testmy.net/quickstats/DanKaiser

Obviously that mega speed test would be the one for when I still had data, and the problem had resolved itself for Saturday

maratsade

Those mega-spikes are SO annoying.   They're some kind of glitch, and the techs will ignore those. 

Did you run out of ALL data, or do you still have your bonus data?  I ask because the tests won't be very helpful to the techs if you're running them while under FAP.  You need to run them while you have data so they show whether there's an issue.  

Do you have many devices connected to your network? If so, you may want to disconnect as many as possible from the network so the devices are not competing for system resources.  The speed drain is much more noticeable during FAP because there isn't a lot of speed to go around to begin with. 

Even though the storm(s) may be gone, sometimes it takes a while for the system to recover.

EDIT: Hopefully the reps here (@Liz , @Remy , @Damian ) will get involved with your case and check your modem, just in case there's an issue there, and indicate whether you should run more tests or do some other kind of troubleshooting. 

Im out of all data right now. The problem began on Wednesday or Thursday, and I didnt post about it until Saturday since I was hoping it would resolve itself I fully ran out of data, Bonus Data, on Saturday, after the speed issues ended

I'll be out of data for 5 days.

Ive thought of that, but ive checked everything that could be potentially eating that data, and theres nothing. I run a pretty simple ship with the internet of things!

And beyond the speeds being slow, maxing at 40kBs(excuse my inconsistancy in typing that out), for whatever reason websites refuse to connect properly or load properly. Its some real dial up flashbacks. As noted in my original post, my modem isnt doing anything strange, no strange lights or blinking patterns, and my dish and dish eye look perfectly fine...from the ground at least. Due to that and the transience of the speed issue, I feel like theres something wrong at Hughes, or I got me a freeloader eating my internet somewhere....

maratsade

Yeah, something's clearly not right over there.  Let's hope the reps on this site chime in today.  

These may be stupid questions, but: is your device fully updated to the latest operating system and drivers?  Are the browsers all updated to the latest version?  Does the slow website issue happen on all browsers? Does the slowness happen if you connect to the modem directly,  using a LAN cable? 

Yeah, everything is updated enough I believe, and since its a widespread issue I don't think the older computer's oldness is as much an issue...

I just had it trying to do a 25MB test, and it ended up freezing up somewhere in the middle and not finishing at all. Ive checked all avenues for something hogging the data, but I don't think theres anything, and even if there was, this is...beyond the pale unless theyve implemented an Ultra-Throttle

Hope to hear something from tech soon!

maratsade

Yeah, things do look super slow, even for FAP.  You may want to stop running tests unless a rep directs you to do so. I don't think these tests you're running under FAP would be useful, plus you're going to end up screaming uncontrollably and pulling your hair out. 🙂

Liz

Hi Danny89,

Thanks for posting and working with the community regarding your speed concerns. As maratsade mentioned, trying to run speed tests while subject to the Fair Access Policy won't be useful. So, I've sent you a data token to use at your convenience and run tests then. I also ran diagnostics on your site and aside from being out of data, the HughesNet equipment is working normally. 

I understand that you noticed slow performance even on another PC directly plugged in, but just wanted to point out that this "HP709499" device that's on the 2.4 GHz network only has a fair signal strength. I suggest moving it closer to the modem or even directly connecting it to the modem. 

Let me know once you've run some new tests after using the data token so I can check them out on your TMN profile. Thank you!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thanks! I'll begin testing soon! Just got online

That device is a printer on the far end of my house, shouldnt be of much trouble

Edit: As of right now, with a short burst of tests at 25MB, its running perfectly fine. I'll keep it up over the night and morning to see if its ok!

Edit 2: Its holding very good speeds while I have data. Need to keep a watch on it for a couple of days, but either the throttle was being very cruel to me compared to usual, or the Modem needed to be contacted. Hopefully it'll stay up and when I run out of the token data, run like it should when throttled normally. That ultra slow speed was very close to not having internet at all!

Gotcha! Good to hear that things are running speedily again on token data. It just can be tricky on reduced speeds since speeds (reduced or not) can and will fluctuate. I usually see speeds fluctuate by 2-3 Mbps, but I've also seen changes of over 10Mbps. So when your speeds are reduced and have already a small range to work in, seems to me to be a challenge to consistently stay on the higher end. Especially if you have multple devices on the network; imagine splitting up 2 Mbps across 3+ devices.

-Liz

Its been running well since Monday, but its just now(or within the last hour) started the slowness again, my download speed on the testing site went from 322kBs to 29kBs!

I entered the FAP condition yesterday though, and before then it was running fast as the test shows, so I definately think this is something on the outside of my set up. But never know of course!

Glad I'll have my full data back in the next day or two, but it was doing this crazy slow mess even when I still had data during the bonus zone time(and of course, during the bonus time!). Would this indicate an overload of people in the area? The only internet running devices right now are the Dish Hopper that shouldnt be doing anything, and that aforementioned printer, so I dont think I have a data leech hiding anywhere, and since it worked fine while I had the data token, it must not be anything to do with my modem or dish itself.

Hopefully it'll resolve itself soon though!

Edit: Just to note, on the last test that showed 29kB/s, I only did a 1MB download since the slowness hit, noticed that a forum was loading like it just woke up in 1994, gonna do some 3MB ones. Also nothing of note happened before it went back to the crazy slow. I was watching youtube videos in low quality this morning, but I wasnt at the computer or any internet device when the slowdown began. Also my state code is 24.1.1 Download Throttled

Thanks for the update, Danny89. There are times when heavy traffic demands will slow down your browsing performance but our network engineers are continually assessing service performance metrics and adjusting parameters to accommodate the increasing demand for internet bandwidth. 

-Liz

Not sure when it started running correctly, but its been running well since yesterday, and my data turns over at midnight so that should work fine!

At this point with how its been going and what testing has been done, is it safe to assume that its not an issue with my equipment, or an issue with the entire Hughes system(communications with the satellite or something wrong at the ground station), and just that theres a heavy overload going on at certain times?

Its absolutely brutal, but if there is an overload, thats all there is to it